Posted by House & Condo Painters
Deciding which painting contractor to paint your home can be as complicated as choosing what color to paint it, or at times it can be even more challenging than that? There are many factors to consider before making the first call and a few others after you’ve met with the estimator. Here’s a short list of what to expect and how to choose the right painting contractor for your painting needs.
Ask yourself what you are looking for
What is more important to you: Quality or price? If you are like most homeowners, you might say both but quality comes first – most people are willing to spend a little extra to get a job well done from a reputable company. Painting your house is not something that is always cheap therefore you must be ready to make an investment that will be worth every dollar. Quality work will cost you but you will also reap the benefits of a job well done and a beautiful home. With that in mind, when searching online for painting contractors do not get intimidated by their websites or million dollar homes that they’ve painted. Rather, be confident in making the call knowing that your home deserves the best painter in town.
Get at least 3 Estimates
Compare prices and see what each of the contractors has to offer. Your estimates should fall within the same price range. Keep in mind that not all painting contractors offer the same services so make sure that the estimate you receive has everything you’ve asked for clearly written out.
Pay Attention to Behavior & Interview Each Candidate
When meeting with a contractor pay attention to the following and ask these questions:
- How long they’ve been in business and if they are licensed, insured, and carry a bond.
- Ask for references and if they have written warranties after work performed
- Ask what products they use
- Is the contractor busy (good ones usually are)
- Does he give you a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Was he in a rush to leave or was he polite and took the time to answer every question?
Be specific about the Project and Review the Contract Carefully
The best thing to do is to walk them through each area you want painted and shows them what and how you want things done. Ask questions of how they’ll perform their job. Once you receive your contract review it carefully and make sure everything you’ve requested is clearly written. Make sure the following are listed:
- Details on preparation and clean up
- Paint colors of each area being painted and type of paint used
- How much time the project will take
- When and how the contractor will be paid
It’s good to trust your instinct, but it’s even better to do a bit of research before you decide who you’ll hire. Choosing the right contractor for your project will leave you satisfied and save you time and money in the long run.